1-SCANNING ELECTRON MICROSCOPE
Model: LEO 1450 VP Britain, Australia, South Africa
- High magnification images from every sample
- providing high-resolution and long-depth-of-field images of the sample surface
- The most minerals are identified by Energy Dispersive X-ray Spectroscopy (EDS) capability
- Imaging with Secondary Electron and Backscatter Electron detectors, also Imaging For biological samples at variable pressure
Samples used for SEM:
- Thin sections
- Polished sections
- Small irregular pieces
2-ELECTRON PROBE MICRO ANALYZER
Cameca SX100 Model:
-Quantitative or qualitative chemical analysis of a very small focused spot (<1um) on a polished sample surface. A non-destructive technique. Useful for:
-Geothermometry and geobarometry
-Zoning in minerals
-Chemical mapping of a polished sample surface. Accomplished by sweeping (rastering) the beam over the sample surface. Used for many of the same types of studies described above. Particularly useful for:
-Location and distribution of phases
-Quick location and identification of trace particles
-Subtle zoning patterns in mineral samples
-Examination of the interfaces between phases
3-X-ray Diffraction (XRD) Analysis
PHILIPS Xpert pro, The Netherland
- XRD is a powerful technique for investigating in sciences.
- Polymorphism (crystalline phase identification)
- Clay mineral identification
- Industerial mineral identification
- Ceramic and alloy phase identification
Transmitted and Reflected Microscope
Model:Axiplan2 – imaging ، Zeiss
Thin section petrography, polished section and thin polished section form an important part of every ore mineralogy study. An interpretation of the paragenetic sequence can be supplied, as well as photomicrographs of the samples, or comprehensive petrographical sample descriptions.
1-the optical characters and identification of ore mineral
groups, ore textures, and their role in ore genesis.
2. the optical characters of ore minerals under reflected light.
-Liberation Size Determination
used Samples :
ـ thin, thin-polish and polish sections
HEATING AND COOLING STAGE MICROSCOPE
-Linkam THMS600 Stage
Petrographic microscope: Zeiss
Fluid inclusions laboratory is specialized in fluid inclusion analysis, an important part of an integrated study of most geological investigations. Fluid inclusions are tiny quantities of liquid, vapor, or mixtures of these phases, trapped as impurities within minerals. Their sizes range from submicroscopic up to several hundred micrometers in diameter. Microthermometry is the method through which phase transitions are observed and detected during freezing and then heating of the entrapped fluids. Microthermometric data (Te, Tm, Th) permit to obtain the pressure- temperature conditions of the fluid at the circulating time or later during healing of fracturing events.
used Samples :
- polished wafers
Simultaneous Thermal Analysis (STA)
Differential Thermal Analysis (DTA)
Thermo Gravimetric Analysis (TGA)
Model: STA 409 PC ، Netzsch
-Identification of mineral by thermal characteristic
The STA 409 PC Luxx (NETZSCH from Germany) is designed for simultaneous TG-DTA measurements.
Thermal analysis can be used to examine any physical or chemical process involving thermal effects to determine transition temperatures, reaction temperature ranges, change in mass,… .
some of these measurements are performed under controlled atmospheres.
- Temperature range: room temperature …. 1500°C
- TG, TG-DTA, TG-DSC sample carriers
- Weighing rang: 18000 mg
- Variety of crucibles: Alumina, platinum, graphite
- Endothermic and exothermic process, change in mass,... , in the temperature difference ranges are represented in a curve.
- Thermal analysis measurement for powdered specimens or pieces of metals.
- Determine peaks.
Sample preparation of various rocks is one of the most important preliminary works carried out in geology studies. Sample preparation plays important role in rock identification and mineralogy studies.
In the sample preparation section, thin, thin polish, polish sections and wafer are prepared in order to be utilized for EPMA, SEM, fluid inclusions and microscopic studies.
- RotoPol-35, PdM-Force-20
- Multidoser, Rotocom
- RotoPol-35, PdM-Force-20
- Transmitted-Reflected Microscop
Equipment Model: Struers,Denmark
It used for cutting the rocks.
It used for lapping the surface of rocks